About the Department of Short professional Courses
The following are short courses offered at the Faculty of Computing and Informatics Sciences.
1. Certificate of Computer Applications
Module 1: Introduction to Computers and Computer Systems.
Module 2: Introduction to Operating Systems
Module 3: Word Processing with MS Word
Module 4: Spreadsheets with MS Excel
Module 5: Presentations with MS Powerpoint
Module 6: Databases with MS Access
Module 7: Web Technology for managing Email and using search engines
Costs and Study Details
Minimum requirements: O’ Level
Duration: 5 weeks
Time of Study: Mon- Fri, 5- 8pm
Tuition Fees: 147,500/= or US $ 80
2. Cisco Certified Network Associate (CCNA)
CCNA 1 – Networking Basics
Upon completion of CCNA 1, students have an understanding of networking basics including;
- Computer hardware and software, electricity, networking terminology and protocols.
- LANs and WANs, Open Systems Interconnection (OSI) Model, Ethernet and Internet Protocol (IP) addressing.
- Design and documentation of a basic network and structured cabling.
- Network-to-network communications.
CCNA 2 – Routers and Routing Basics
Upon completion of CCNA 2, students have an understanding of routers and routing including;
- Router user interfaces, components and configurations
- Basics of IOS versions, naming and software backups.
- TCP/IP Protocol Suite and IP addressing and subnetting.
- Interior routing protocols – RIP, IGRP
CCNA 3 – Switching Basics and Intermediate Routing
Upon completion of CCNA 3, students have an understanding of Switching Basics and Intermediate Routing including;
- Switching and VLANs
- Spanning-Tree Protocol
- Routing and Routing Protocols
- Access Control Lists (ACLs)
- Network documentation, security and trouble shooting
CCNA 4 – WAN Technologies
Upon completion of CCNA 3, students have an understanding of WAN technologies including;
- WAN devices, encapsulation formats and communication
- PPP components, session establishment and authentication
- ISDN uses, services and configuration
- Frame relay technology and configuration.
Costs and Study Details
Minimum requirements: O’Level
Duration: 9 months
Time of Study: Mon- Fri; 5-8pm plus weekends
Tuition Fees: 600,000/= or US $ 300
3. Information Technology Essentials (ITE)
Upon completion of this course, students will receive a Certificate of Completion for IT Essentials: PC Hardware and Software. Acquired competencies include;
- Building a computer and installation of the motherboard, floppy and hard drives, CD-ROM and video cards.
- Installing and managing Windows Operating Systems
- Adding peripherals and multimedia capabilities
- Knowledge of local-area network architectures, networking protocols and the OSI Model and TCP/IP utilities
- Connecting the computer to a local area network and to the internet.
Content for the tab Modules